The Kansas State University Ecological Genomics Institute seeks to fulfill its mission by:
- Fostering a fertile intellectual community of diverse participants (faculty, post-docs, students) from varied disciplines who are committed to advancing the field of ecological genomics.
- Providing programs that support and promote collaborative EcoGen research at the Institute as well as advance and guide the field at the national and international levels.
- Providing forums for dissemination of EcoGen research within the university, nationally, and internationally.
- Facilitating the use and development of the newest state of the art technology and tools to enable EcoGen projects to prosper and to spawn new projects.
- Training the next generation of scientists in cutting-edge EcoGen research by developing an interdisciplinary curriculum, while promoting ethnic and gender diversity.
- Promoting diversity in science by providing research opportunities to members of under-represented groups.
- Disseminating knowledge to the general public by performing outreach activities that include educational opportunities for K-12 educators.
- Developing applications for EG research using knowledge of genetic diversity and patterns of gene expression in Tallgrass prairie communities to predict the impacts of climate change in grasslands, inform conservation, bioremediation and grazing land management policies.
EcoGen programs to accomplish the goals
Fostering a fertile intellectual community…
Host annual symposium
EcoGen Summer Research Forum
Extended Seminar Visits
Weekly journal club
Providing programs that support and promote collaborative EcoGen research…
Provided funds to KSU EGI members for seed grants, bulk
fragment analysis, and facuty travel
grants. These programs are no longer available. However, many of those funded
were able to secure extramural funding baed on the work supported by these
Facilitating the use and development of the newest state of the art technology…
RNA-seq and RT-PCR workshops
Support KSU Genomics facilities:
Gene Expression Facility
USDA Sequencing and Genotyping Center
Training the next generation of scientists…
Student EcoGen Fellowships and Graduate program
Provide research experiences for undergraduates
Promoting diversity in science…
Provide research opportunities through the KSU Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (SUROP) and the KSU Developing Scholars Program.
The organization and management structure of the KSU Ecological Genomics Institute enables these programs to achieve their goals.
History of the KSU Ecological Genomics Institute (coming soon).